Is your company looking for an qualified and experienced Safety Professional? Contact one of the officers on the about page to have your opening posted here.
About the Job
This position is located in Brooklyn, NY at the Gowanus Canal Superfund Site.
The term of the work is estimated to be 35 months including 30 months of on‑site activities, which are anticipated to commence in May 2024.
The Field PSM should be present on site when the contractor is actively working in the field. The Contractor generally works 10-hour days Monday through Friday starting with a morning safety briefing at 7 AM
- Ensure compliance with the Environment, Safety & Health, and Risk Assessment (RA) programs and procedures established for the project.
- Verify Contractor’s environmental controls, training, and medical monitoring are in place and functional, and that the Contractor follows the provisions of the Contract and applicable regulations.
- Participate seamlessly with, and as if part of, the Risk Assessment Management Committee (RAMC).
- Participate in weekly Progress Meetings to identify safety issues that need immediate attention and upcoming work activities that may require risk assessment, job hazard analysis, or potential Management of Change (MOC).
- Attend Contractor’s daily safety briefings and monitor work activities throughout the day, maintaining communications through the Trust Representative as needed.
- Although Stop Work authority is always provided to all persons on site, work standdowns will be more typical and as provided for in “Draft Process for Gowanus Environmental Remediation Trust (GERT) Response to Safety Events”.
- Work with Trust Representative to identify gaps in Contractor compliance and provide recommendations for corrective actions.
- Work with Trust Representative and Contractor’s SSO to identify gaps in compliance and provide recommendations for corrective actions.
- Implement Risk Assessment Procedure, assemble Risk Assessment Teams, and issue risk assessment determinations as appropriate.
- Monitor the Contractor’s implementation of Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and MOC guidelines and procedures, assist as requested; even performing and finalizing the PHA for contractors who do not have training to do so themselves.
- Provide Risk Assessment training to participants as necessary.
- Participate in biweekly HAZID meetings with contractors.
- Verify that Contractors have provided or updated Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs) as necessary for upcoming work tasks.
- Review JHAs for compliance with project safety procedures and regulatory requirements. PSM may be asked, and should attempt, to provide this review within a short turnaround time to minimize interruption of project activities.
- The PSM Team shall assist in on‑boarding of new contractors and subcontractors by reviewing contractor’s (including subcontractor’s) Work Plans, HASP, and training documentation against project safety procedures and regulatory requirements. PSM may be asked, and should attempt, to provide this review and to schedule necessary RAs within a short turnaround time to minimize interruption of project activities.
- Review Incident Investigation Reports, work through Trust Representative to recommend changes, and meet periodically with the Contractor to track Safety Action Items (SAIs) through completion.
- Provide support as necessary for other parties to perform audits of the project Safety Management System if deemed prudent by the Trust. Provide support in response to action items identified in such an audit. The Trust recognizes that this support may be considered an additional scope of work.
- Provide Daily Safety Progress Reports.
- Maintain safety documents on Project Portal.
- Remain in communication with RAMC and OR to accomplish the above.
Skills & Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years in heavy construction ESH oversight.
- Minimum 6 months on‑water experience as Safety Professional.
- Current 40‑hr HAZWOPER.
- OSHA 10‑hr Construction.
- Current Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Training or equivalent.
- Trained in Incident Investigation techniques.
- Confined Space Entrant Training.
- Familiarity with NYCDEP requirements and CSP certification is preferred.
Our comprehensive benefits include: medical, dental, vision, prescription, 401k, FSA, LTD, STD, New Parent Leave, 529 CollegeBound Fund, Tuition Assistance, Bonus Plan, and more.
Groundwater & Environmental Services, Inc. (GES) believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. At GES, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.
E.E. Cruz & Co., Inc. is a leader in the civil construction industry and has an immediate need for a Safety Manager with strong large civil construction experience to provide and will be responsible for inspection, evaluation, training, and technical support for onsite construction team to ensure compliance with Health and Safety program and agency regulations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Identifies, documents, and resolves onsite safety risks or discrepancies during daily site walks.
Documents Daily Hazard Analysis (DHA) using Company prescribed procedures and software.
- Advises management on proper interpretation and implementation of safety regulations.
- Evaluates and identifies all safety equipment needs for project work. Participates in daily and
weekly meetings to ensure all necessary equipment is ordered, stocked and available for
- Assists in investigations and reporting regarding accidents, injuries or illnesses, fire, property
damage and other safety related incidents to ensure timely and compliant resolutions.
Recommends improvements based on performed trend analysis.
- Develops and distributes worksite safety and evacuation plan to all onsite personnel. Supports
emergency response coordination and access planning with manager, as needed.
- Works closely with onsite work crews to provide first aid and emergency services to any onsite
injury or incident. Ensures worksite injuries are accurately documented and offsite medical
clinics attend to employee injury in an accurate and timely manner.
- Supports evaluation of subcontractors and subcontractor safety programs. Notifies
management of any non-compliant safety procedures and participates in corrective action
discussions to resolve in a timely manner.
- Presents toolbox talk content to project site staff within the prescribed frequency, as
determined by manager.
- Presents the progress of the project safety program to leadership, as directed.
- Maintains knowledge of Company values and strategic plan.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or GED required.
Large civil construction experience strongly desired
5+ years construction or safety experience required.
Experience with a broad variety of construction methods and build types required.
Certifications and/or Licensing Requirements
OSHA 30 Hour – current
CHST designation – current and preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Proven skill to identify onsite project safety risks and recommend mitigation within safety and
project program requirements.
Able to take on special tasks or projects with limited to no direction and oversight required.
Strong multitasking and organization skills required.
Proven knowledge of construction site equipment, methods and processes.
Developed verbal, written and presentation skills with all levels of the organization.
Developed and proven knowledge to control or eliminate hazards following prescribed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
Regularly required to sit and talk or hear
Frequently is required to stand and walk
Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and
stoop, kneel, or crouch
Frequently required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
1 / 3
Some of the benefits you may be eligible for as an E.E. Cruz employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
E.E. Cruz is an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.
Are you a safety expert who thrives with collaboration and program creation? Do you excel in knowledge of state and federal health and safety regulations and negotiating with regulatory agencies? Are you interested in joining a culture that values problem solving, learning, and bias for action, and are you looking for a career with a purpose? If so, we want to hear from you!
Taconic Biosciences is seeking a new position for a Safety Manager to join our growing dedicated Global Environmental Health & Safety team in this onsite position at our Germantown, NY site.
The Pay Range: $98,000 – $108,000. Exact compensation may vary based on several factors. These factors include, but are not limited to, geographic location, experience, training, education, and local market conditions, with this the upper end of the range is not always likely to be offered.
What we offer:
- Insurance within 30 days or less which includes options for medical, dental, vision, pet insurance and more!
- 20 days paid time off plus 6 additional holidays and 1 floating holiday
- Annual Bonus Program
- Work life balance
- 401(k) plan with up to 4% employer match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Career advancement opportunities
- Commitment to training and providing you with the skills you need for success
- All employees receive access to 24/7 telemedicine (including mental health), short- and long-term disability and life insurance.
If you are looking for a rewarding career and the opportunity to grow, apply today!
Taconic’s Global Environmental Health and Safety team supports every aspect of the Taconic mission. The Safety Manager will be responsible for identifying any issues or missing compliance gaps, determining, and implementing regulatory measures as well as Best Business Practices across all Taconic sites and processes that directly support and improve Taconic’s Global EH&S function and contribute to the employee experience.
Responsibilities of the Safety Manager include the following:
- Ensure occupational safety compliance with local, state, federal and international agencies.
- Utilize Taconic’s systems to maintain all applicable files, reports, and documents.
- Create/implement an inspection/assessment schedule.
- Create and/or improve upon currently implemented programs.
- Will finalize implementation of Velocity EHS and manage the system.
- Serve as focal point for all safety matters for Cambridge City (CC) site and will coordinate with each discipline as necessary.
- Travel to Cambridge City site in Indiana at least quarterly
- Serve as an alternate member on Change Review Approval Board (CRAB) and Response Teams as necessary.
- Serve as a point of contact for OSHA, IDEM, DWEA etc.
- Support environmental programs and initiatives as needed.
- Partner with Operations management team to perform regular safety audits to monitor compliance.
- Generate/manage all required inspection and incident investigation reports.
- Will create an incident investigation training for supervisors.
- Oversee the incident/accident investigation process, including identification of root cause, and ensure that supervisors are properly trained to conduct investigations, develop, and implement appropriate corrective actions.
- Handle all aspects of OSHA record keeping and reporting.
- Partner with Facilities team to mitigate/abate any industrial/occupational hazards.
- Proactively identify issues, risks, opportunities, and trends that may impact the company from an EHS perspective.
- Serves as focal point for all Safety Liaisons, Global/site safety committee meetings.
- Oversees industrial safety programs SOPs and will create/update as necessary.
- Stay up to date with best business practices, trends, and legislation.
- Perform other duties that may be required to maintain environmental compliance at all US Taconic locations.
- Coordinate with leadership on EHS related capital budget items, including helping to create business case for their acquisition.
- Perform ergonomic assessments as necessary.
- Support Process Improvement on GEMBAs, RIEs, 6S events as requested and/or required.
- Domestic and possibly international travel up to 25% annually
NOTE: As a member of the Global EH&S team there will be jobs, tasks, and situations that arise that require cross functional assistance from all EH&S team members, knowledge of environmental requirements and industrial hygiene is required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA) from four-year college or university in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, etc., or technical/managerial experience at an equivalent level.
- 7+ years of relevant experience and/or training.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of team.
- Strong understanding of state and federal safety and health related regulations.
- Experience negotiating with regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 and environmental management regulations and systems and/or RCRA/DOT is a plus.
- Skill in designing, implementing, and coordinating assignments, operations, and/or programs.
- Experience in making decisions and/or recommendations significantly developing or changing organizational policies or procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to write technical reports, management summaries, presentations and/or documents for internal and external circulation
- Ability to listen empathetically, understand information presented by people with different communication styles and different points of view, and mediate disagreements.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Travel required, generally four trips per year (more may be necessary). Quarterly travel to Cambridge City, IN site is required.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Some physical exertion is required such as long periods of standing, walking, recurring bending and lifting, and/or lifting of items up to 25 pounds.
- Work environment will primarily be an office setting, however regular visits to barriers and facility areas is expected and required.
- Some use of chemicals, protective measures, and/or work with heavy machinery may be required. Some exposure to occupational hazards which require routine precautions. Some exposure to extremes in temperature, outdoor weather, strong odors, and/or noise levels occurs within the work environment.
With a history of over 65 years of excellence, Taconic Biosciences is a global team of the best problem solvers in the industry. We partner with our clients to develop winning research strategies that accelerate the discoveries for prevention and treatment of disease.
Taconic employees all over the world show up every day to deliver the best solutions for our clients while caring for ourselves, each other, and especially our animals. If you are a respectful, compassionate individual with a can-do attitude and a desire to do the right thing, we want you to join us!
Better Together at Taconic
Inclusion, Diversity, Awareness & Action. Taconic Biosciences is taking an active and intentional role in creating a company culture that encourages and appreciates the uniqueness in all people. Being you is what allows you to bring your best self to work. We are committed to ensuring that Taconic is a safe and fair workplace for everyone because it’s our differences that make us stronger. We are better together.
Taconic Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, or protected veteran status.